You start something new, of course! Something low stress and colorful and just for fun!
I had previously purchased the pattern, Building Fun, from Geta who blogs at Geta's Quilt Studio. Bright and cheerful, it was the perfect project! (I borrowed this photo from Pinterest--my pattern copy is a bit mutilated)
The instructions were clear, the blocks went together easily, and it was fun picking the fabrics for each block. I decided to use only fabric from stash, and finally used a few pieces by Keiko Goko that I have been hoarding. I chose black/white polka dots for the border, but I think it would have been fun to use a bit smaller polka dot for the backgrounds (didn't think of that until it was done).
The pattern calls for machine appliqué of the circles/centers, but I didn’t want to worry about colors showing through the white, so I sewed them using reverse appliqué, which worked really well. I’d definitely recommend the pattern. (and I'm not connected in any way)Even though the pattern went together well, the backing proved to be a challenge for my stash. The top was too large for one width of the fabric to cover it. Every piece of baby suitable fabric that I had was either too small, the wrong colors, or directional so it couldn’t be turned sideways. Very irritating! If I’d been thinking, I would have bought some Minkie and been done.
But instead, since I had leftover strips from the blocks and leftover triangles from piecing the buildings, I decided I would piece of few of the fabrics together for a back. Simple, right? Ummm, NO.
The back was going fine until I measured and cut everything the wrong length--way, WAY short. I had been going to run the piecing up and down, but that wasn't going to work with the short pieces. So a new design and more piecing was necessary. And more unpicking.
I didn’t think to take photos during the process, but it’s a good thing you couldn’t hear what I said when I realized that I had cut everything too short. Here’s what I finally ended up with:
And feeling guilty for starting something new, (and on a roll piecing backs), I pulled out one of my many UFO tops (French General Reine des Abeilles), and started piecing a back for it with a few of the leftover hexagons. (I needed something to join the two widths of fabric for the back.)
I did manage to finally finish the French General hexagon back last night, and it's all bundled up with the quilt, ready to go to the quilter. (And, yes, I forgot to photograph it, so you'll just have to wait for the big finish--which could be awhile, but at least progress has been made!)
And last post, I showed photos of the great snow we got two weeks ago, when our world looked like this:
Now this is all that is left of the snowman family.