August 25, 2013

A little progress...

A little more progress on the Star Surround quilt along--the blocks are sewn, and one row is together.  I'm a little ahead, but need to clean up the sewing room, so I'm anxious to get this done, or at least in one piece.

Also managed to finish one more Flower Garden block.

And managed to find the carpet in my sewing room.  Still have to dig out the cutting mat and my favorite scissors, though.  I'm sure they're under there somewhere.  And no, no photo of that--wouldn't want to scare you!

Happy Stitching!

August 18, 2013

Runaway Blocks

Last week I decided to work on my Flower Garden blocks.  I pulled out the background pieces for the unfinished blocks--7 background pieces were left.  I pulled out the patterns for the unfinished blocks--there were only 6 pattern pieces.  Yep, one was missing.

I keep my projects in bins containing the key parts, pattern, and fabrics for each (if possible).  If there is too much fabric, I put it in another bin, box or basket (or a big stack on the floor). I'm ordinarily a messy quilter, but my applique blocks are actually organized and in numerical order in a stack.  (they are too much work to lose!)  The applique blocks for the Roseville Album and Flower Garden have their own two bins--one for unfinished blocks, pattern, and parts, and one bin for finished blocks and backing/binding--and extra stem bias, because that's where it fits.  (It's what's wrapped around the piece of an orange swim noodle in the photo.)  Baby photos are nice, but the finished block bin is what I plan to save if our house ever starts on fire.

SOME of the WIP Bins
Finish block bin

So I went through the bins.  Went through them again.  Looked in any spot where the missing pattern could have been put.  Scanned the other bins. Looked again and again.  Finally, I got distracted with all the UFO bins and decided to look at the Flower Garden borders pattern pieces to see how much more work lay ahead.  That's when I realized I hadn't cut out the missing block's pattern--it was still attached to the border pattern.  Sigh.  Wasted hours.

In the midst of my pattern search, I checked off the completed blocks, so I'd know which one was missing.  Only problem, when I added the finished and unfinished blocks, I was still one short.  Not just a missing pattern, but the whole block.  Another half day search.  I went through everything.  Again.  And again.  I thought I remembered that this block had traveled on a plane with me.  Did I leave it somewhere in the process of stitching it?  Had it fallen behind somewhere?  Had I thrown it away?  I started wondering if I had ever stitched it? 

Truly disheartened, I gave up.  Sat down.  And looked on my blog.  Yep, there was a photo of the missing block.  Remember this block?

The Runaway Block

So where was it?  Hmmm.  I looked at what else I had posted about in that post, dug out that Raining Cats and Dogs bin, and voila--there it was, put away with those blocks.  Now I remember--I planned to wash the finished ones at the same time together. Now I know why I blog! (failing memory?!)

All blocks finally accounted for!  So much for making progress.  Do you ever lose things like this?  So frustrating.
Choosing Fabrics 

Eventually I did start working on the Flower Garden.

Prepped Blocks

I managed to get several of the remaining Flower Garden blocks all prepped and ready to take on our next road trip.  Some parts are glued under and some are front stitched, which I really like using on the leaves. I've even started stitching a little on a couple of them.

Last Flower to Do!

One more is in process--it just needs the tulip flower to be added.

Finished Block!

And I finished stitching one block!  (It is laying on top of the quilt on the design wall which shows through--sorry)


The cleanest part of the room
I did make a big mess.  (This is just a tiny, tiny part of the mess.)  So today, I'll be cleaning up the room......getting ready for the next round of the Star Surround quilt along tomorrow.
So far I've resisted joining the Love Entwined BOM.  Not sure how long I can hold out--it looks like fun (and work!)  They just started month #3, so it isn't too late to join in.  Fun of a new project vs. responsibly working on all my UFO's. Decisions, decisions.  Are you going to do it?  A clean sewing room almost needs a new project, doesn't it? ;)  I'm going to have to think about it......

Happy Stitching!

August 15, 2013

Making Stars

I've been working a little on the Star Surround Quilt Along

In this week's directions, Melissa mentions how easy it is to get the pieces mixed up, and recommends laying out each star, so as not to get it mixed up.  And I did that carefully, because I'm the kind of person who does get things mixed up. 

Apparently laying them out properly wasn't enough for me.  This is my first one:

How did this happen?
Instead of this?

Eventually I got them all properly sewed together.  

I'm looking forward to next week's assignment--I'm anxious to see how it is going to look!  Sure wish I had my design wall available. 

I need to get busy on the triangles (at the current rate, it will be years, and the pieces are actually falling off faster than being sewn together.)   Sigh.  Maybe tomorrow--or not. :)

Happy Stitching!

August 08, 2013

The Geese Are Flying.....

Although fall isn't in the air yet (it is still hot hot), the geese are already flying.......

Got off to a slow start, but finally finished the geese for the Star Surround Quilt Along this evening.  It's not too late for you to join in--the directions are here.

I'm looking forward to next week, when we start sewing the blocks together.  And, HOORAY--found out this week that the baby I was hoping to give this to is a girl!

Happy Stitching!