November 08, 2016

When you are too tired to sew....

This is what happens when you are too tired to be sewing:

These are leftovers from a quilt started decades ago--before rotary cutters.  The pieces were pretty uneven, so I didn't worry about making things match, but even loosening up on that, I still managed to mess up the directions of the rows.  To fix it, it was either pick out two rows to make it zig zag or pick out one row to make it uniform.  I chose the one row. 
Here it is again after quilting it.  I was amazed at how much the quilting helped hide. Now I just need to find some binding to finish it up.
I'm also working on a quilt for a nephew's second baby.  We don't know if it is a girl or a boy yet, but I am making a girl quilt that coordinates with the quilt I made their first child, just on the off chance this one will also be a girl. (The first quilt was the Star Surround, found here.)  Here's the new quilt in progress:
The colors of the original quilt were mint green, yellow, pink and white, but I really had to "stretch" the mint greens as mint green fabrics are hard to find right now.  This is all sewn together, and now I'm working on piecing a back for it.  I suspect we'll learn it's a boy about the time I get the back done! :)
Happy Stitching!

November 07, 2016

It's Been Awhile.......

In my last post, over a year ago, I was working on baby things for the coming babies.  And then the babies were here and the blog was forgotten. 

While I've thought several times about reviving the blog, it just seemed so much work to catch it up to date, that I put it off--longer and longer.

So today, I've decided to jump right in and just share something.  Maybe it'll all get caught up--or not.  We'll see.

So yes, during the last year plus, I did quilt, and I did finish a few things even.  One of which was a quilt for each of the girls.  The quilts are identical.  The twins are not.

Several of the fabrics are from Backyard Baby, which has snakes and ants and stuff that I hoped their Biology teacher mama would enjoy and were in the colors she originally chose for the girls' room.  Also, trees and dogs and flowers and cats and things that little girls like too.

This is the back.

To store the quilts, since they aren't being used, I made bags with the girls' names on them, complete with a selvage ribbon tie.  The name is lightly stitched in white along the turquoise band, but it's hard to see.
The twins are now over a year old and very active.  So many changes in the past year.  This is them dressed up for Halloween.

And, since we're on the subject of babies, I also made a quilt for my daughter's friend who had her baby this past August.

Many of the fabrics are from the Sherbet Pips line by Aneela Hoey and others that match them.  The back has little girls in swings on it in between 2 rows of the leftover blocks and a red and white dot on either side of that, but I forgot to photograph the quilt before it was mailed off.  Here's one with the cute little owner of the quilt.

Happy Stitching!