When I put the Kaffe fabrics away in their bin drawer, the drawer was very tight--I really had to jamb them in. Later when flipping through an older issue of Quilt Sampler (Spring/Summer 2011), I happened on this photo:
The quilt in this photo is made with Kaffe fabrics. Making this quilt would make more room in my Kaffe bin, wouldn't it?
It was meant to be. I immediately started cutting squares and arranging the squares on the design board. (Right over the French General hexagons.)
There were a few technical difficulties (not having enough of a couple of the fabrics, and having to track down more and work a little creative cutting magic). Don't look too closely below, or you might see where I had to "create" one more piece of the red. (that blue arrow points to the extra seam)
I am down to only scraps of a couple of these fabrics now. (And yet that Kaffe bin is still too tightly stuffed. Weird.) The top is together--it went really quickly. I just need to do the borders--and you know how I hate to do borders.
Sunday, I started clearing my cutting area to have room to cut the borders, and sitting on my cutting board was this lonely pile of fabrics, just waiting for me to finish. They looked so Valentine's-ish. I've been collecting fabrics in red/pink/black for awhile, and had promised them I would do something with them this Valentine's Day. (The group really came together when I found some by Robin Zingone named Stockholm in lipstick. They just sing red and pink.)
Sigh. You know what happened. Pretty soon the fabrics were being cut into hexagons. And now, the design wall looks like this.
I blame it on my chair. Pink chairs are a dangerous influence! (It was a bargain from Staples last September--and though I know it won't hold up to hard use, I couldn't resist!)
And I will cut the borders today--I will. I will. I will! Right after I clear a spot on the cutting table--again!