September 16, 2013

A Finish!

Hooray!  My Star Surround is finished!

The Star Surround was made during a wonderful quiltalong hosted by Melissa at Happy Quilting .  Melissa had such great instructions, it was an easy way to make a quilt. 

To see the parade of all the lovely finished quilts, go here.  It's fun to see how the different fabrics and different sized blocks change the way the design looks. 

Front
 
This isn't perfect, but I actually managed to quilt it myself, despite an angry shoulder.  Luckily the baby isn't a quilter (yet) so she probably won't notice the rough spots and longer stitches.   
 
Back
 
One thing I did learn (note to self), is if you make a two sided quilt, you have to have a design that works on both sides, and unless you can line the two sides up perfectly, you shouldn't plan on using straight lines or things that follow the blocks of the one side if the quilting won't look right on the other side. 
 
This swirly quilt design solved the problem and worked great for both sides. 


Also, if you choose a thread that won't show much, you shouldn't be surprised to find you can't see where you are at when you are quilting and lose track!  (This is Aurifil 50 wt.)

Another thing I learned is that when you use a batting that shrinks a bunch, it might be a good idea to wash the quilt after it is quilted, but before sewing the binding on.  The batt I used was Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton, which I used to use years ago, but I don't remember that much shrinkage (or having to quilt as close as every 2 inches).

My quilt now has little waves in the binding area that weren't there before I washed it, and the shrinking was significant (it now measures 44 1/2", but it started out  at a finished 48" (in theory only since I didn't measure but it was close to that.)  I do like the old fashioned crinkled look the batting gave the quilt, though.

Putting the binding on by machine worked pretty slick.  After I stitched it on the first side, I used Elmer's School Glue to glue the other side in place then stitched it (hoping for the best) and except for one area, (and another I just noticed) it was perfect--well, good enough, and done beats perfect!

Now I just need the baby's name to make a label. 


I think this is the earliest I've ever finished a gift--the baby isn't even due until November.  Boy, it sure feels good to have finally finished something!  And thanks again, Melissa, for hosting such a lovely quiltalong!

Happy Stitching!

9 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

I can't see any rough spots at all and your quilt is absolutely stunning. It will be a lovely baby quilt. Well done!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I find that if I machine finish the binding on a smallish quilt that it always ripples after washing. Hand finishing is softer and seems to shrink with the main part of the quilt. It is a very pretty quilt and I'm sure will be much loved.

Lynette said...

It's gorgeous, too! Love the fabrics/colors. I really dig the blow-up of the block for the back.

Shirley said...

Woohoo Donna! Well done to you on your finish and even more so knowing how you have been through the pain barrier. It will be a well loved quilt without a doubt.

Chrissy said...

This is beautiful!

Heather said...

Wow, looks great and best of all you are finished! I had hoped to quit mine last week but after zi found out I will be having major back surgery this Thurday, I have spent the time prepping handwork so I will have something to do during the long recovery. I am so happy you got yours done so quickly!

Barb said...

fabulous quilt front and back!! wow - i love your fresh colors - congrats!

Teresa Rawson said...

Lovely finish...congrats!

Teresa :o)

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

This is beautiful Donna! xo