August 08, 2012

Catching Up #2

This Spring was also a busy one family-wise. 


My son and daughter-in-law were lucky enough to find a house they liked and could afford, so we helped move them.  I didn't take very good photos, but this is of their very lovely kitchen. 

It feels good to have them settling in.



And soon after they moved, my daughter graduated (Dr. Alex now--whoohoo!).  We moved her home so she could prepare and pack for her next move.  
Packing mess for weeks!
Our graduate!












   While she was "packing", we came across the pillow I made for her undergraduate years (some 9 years ago--yikes--no wonder she feels like she's been in school forever!)

 

It's made with old jeans (obviously).

The flower section is actually one I embroidered on my pant leg back in the hippy days when I was in middle school.  I saved it when the jeans wore out.  I can't believe I had saved it all those years, but it was nice to find a perfect use for it.  (Makes me wonder how many other ancient things are in my sewing room!)


  
I used two pairs of button up jeans, butted together, and topstitched to one waistband to make the pillow closure. 

The pockets were taken from jeans, and topstitched onto other jeans when necessary.







This is the other side.  Pant leg seams were cut to use in the side panels, so the topstitching could be there as an accent.







 
Then we were off, moving her to Oregon, where we got to spend a few wonderful days on the chilly coast, enjoying every moment.


 At least until we had to say goodbye.. :(


 I did manage to squeeze in a bit of sewing, a Roseville piggy,


a few more Just Takes Two blocks,



 and a couple of Flower Garden blocks.

 And now you're pretty much up to date! 

There are a couple things in process, but no photos to show, and if you've read all this, that's really quite enough--poor you! :)

Happy Stitching!

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Love your fussy cutting of your flower blocks and congratulations to your daughter on all her years of hard work and study. It does pay off eventually.

Linda in Calif. said...

All that moving! You are a moving pro aren't you? The jean pillow is awesome and I bet your daughter loves the flowers! So cool that you've had them so long, very special.

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh I meant to say that is the best picture of your daughter on the beach!

Unknown said...

hi!! just reading through your blog and noticed you moved your daughter to Oregon...i live in oregon..great place! where are you from? The other thing i noticed is your levi pillow, your hippy days with the embroidery. When i was 14 i had a pair of 501's that i loved and slit them up the side, stitched in a flared piece of denim and embroidered on them too. I thought i was soooo cool and in retrospect, i still think i was! ha ha...YOU are so lucky to still have that piece from your past. I can't find mine, don't even know what i did with them. :/ i really want to make a pillow just like you did! what a great gift and memory!! ~karen