May 15, 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival #2 -- Turn by Turn

Hi again!   This is my second entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival which started today and runs through May 29. 
spring 2015 BQF Button
Many thanks to Amy's Creative Side for hosting the festival and giving us all the opportunity to see the lovely projects everyone has been working on this past year.  The quilts are amazing.


My entry is a quilt from a pattern found in Quilt Sampler (Spring/Summer 2011), called Turn by Turn.  I started it in February 2013, sent it off to be quilted in March, and didn't finish it until November 2014.  What can I say--I hate to do bindings and I'm not good at finishing.  This is during the binding process, but shows the richness of the Kaffe fabrics better than the other photographs.
 
   
 
It was quilted by Yvette of Yvette's Custom Quilting.  The quilting is hard to see, but really lovely. It runs along each strip of color, with a small separate design on the brown and white dot.  I likely wouldn't have chosen the brown and white dot for the lattice if it hadn't been used in the magazine, but it worked really well to set off the colors of the Kaffes.   
 
 
The backing is also a Kaffe, a print called Bekah.  It is one of my favorites for backing.  Really a gorgeous fabric.  I was a little sad to use up my last piece of the print.
 

The binding is a fabric by Philip Jacobs called Chard, in blue, which has enough teal and pink to pull it all together.


And just because this photo was in with the others, and because Bryna was so sweet at this age (and at that moment), here's the finished French General.  I'm guessing I didn't post a photo because it was to be a gift.

Both Turn by Turn and the French General were Christmas presents this past Christmas.  I was sorry to see them go!
 
Turn by Turn is entered in the Large Quilt Category of the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  It measures roughly 110 x 120 plus the outside border, so maybe 120 x 130?  (I didn't measure it before it was given away)  I pieced it, and it was quilted wonderfully by Yvette of Yvette's Custom Quilting.
 
Be sure to check out all the other quilts in the Large Category at the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  And thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful quilt. Good luck in the competition .

SarahZ said...

Oh my, such gorgeousness! Congratulations on getting this one finished up!!!!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

This quilt is amazingly vibrant both front and back! It must feel good to have it completed.

Cheryl said...

Very nice quilt, I really like the colors.

Vicki in MN said...

What a beautiful bright quilt!

Sandra Walker said...

Love Kaffe fabrics, as well as his books; I own two of them. I also have this edition of Quilt Sampler! Your quilt turned out just beautifully! I'd be sad to give it away too, but I'm sure it went to a good hour me. I love the French General one too, especially the model posing with it! Aww!

audrey said...

Love the fabrics you used! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It's so fascinating how different this quilt looks at a distance and close up. I love how you have done the sashing so it blends in to the blue stripes. It's a great effect. And the puppy is adorable, too :)

Renee said...

Gorgeous and so vibrant!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love the sumptuous colours you've used in this gorgeous quilt and the fabric for the sashing couldn't be more perfect.

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

What lovely gifts!

Barb said...

Wonderful quilts for the festival!! and your puppy is adorable!
It was fun catching up with your projects.