I keep my projects in bins containing the key parts, pattern, and fabrics for each (if possible). If there is too much fabric, I put it in another bin, box or basket (or a big stack on the floor). I'm ordinarily a messy quilter, but my applique blocks are actually organized and in numerical order in a stack. (they are too much work to lose!) The applique blocks for the Roseville Album and Flower Garden have their own two bins--one for unfinished blocks, pattern, and parts, and one bin for finished blocks and backing/binding--and extra stem bias, because that's where it fits. (It's what's wrapped around the piece of an orange swim noodle in the photo.) Baby photos are nice, but the finished block bin is what I plan to save if our house ever starts on fire.
|SOME of the WIP Bins|
|Finish block bin|
So I went through the bins. Went through them again. Looked in any spot where the missing pattern could have been put. Scanned the other bins. Looked again and again. Finally, I got distracted with all the UFO bins and decided to look at the Flower Garden borders pattern pieces to see how much more work lay ahead. That's when I realized I hadn't cut out the missing block's pattern--it was still attached to the border pattern. Sigh. Wasted hours.
In the midst of my pattern search, I checked off the completed blocks, so I'd know which one was missing. Only problem, when I added the finished and unfinished blocks, I was still one short. Not just a missing pattern, but the whole block. Another half day search. I went through everything. Again. And again. I thought I remembered that this block had traveled on a plane with me. Did I leave it somewhere in the process of stitching it? Had it fallen behind somewhere? Had I thrown it away? I started wondering if I had ever stitched it?
Truly disheartened, I gave up. Sat down. And looked on my blog. Yep, there was a photo of the missing block. Remember this block?
|The Runaway Block|
So where was it? Hmmm. I looked at what else I had posted about in that post, dug out that Raining Cats and Dogs bin, and voila--there it was, put away with those blocks. Now I remember--I planned to wash the finished ones at the same time together. Now I know why I blog! (failing memory?!)
All blocks finally accounted for! So much for making progress. Do you ever lose things like this? So frustrating.
Eventually I did start working on the Flower Garden.
I managed to get several of the remaining Flower Garden blocks all prepped and ready to take on our next road trip. Some parts are glued under and some are front stitched, which I really like using on the leaves. I've even started stitching a little on a couple of them.
|Last Flower to Do!|
One more is in process--it just needs the tulip flower to be added.
And I finished stitching one block! (It is laying on top of the quilt on the design wall which shows through--sorry)
|The cleanest part of the room|
I did make a big mess. (This is just a tiny, tiny part of the mess.) So today, I'll be cleaning up the room......getting ready for the next round of the Star Surround quilt along tomorrow.