September 20, 2011
September 19, 2011
Then it was back to work (play). This month’s UFO Challenge is #11, which for me is two quilts that both need to be quilted. (What was I thinking--two??!)
One of them, the New Wave, is at the quilter's now. This is a photo of the top when I first finished it a year or so ago. I pieced a back for it, and even though it was on my living room floor for several days, I apparently didn’t photograph it—guess you’ll have to wait along with me until the quilting is finished—likely not until sometime in October. So it's as finished as can be for now!
The other UFO quilt is a Watermelon top, which is now all ready to be quilted—the borders are on and the back is pieced. But when I thought about getting it quilted, I had second thoughts. I’m not sure I want the expense—at least not now (the king size teal quilt and my daughter’s quilt were big and expensive, and I’ve two more currently being quilted.) I would likely only use it for a summer tablecloth--it does fit perfectly on my picnic table. Hmmmmm...
Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a two sided tablecloth? I’d like to come up with a good idea for the back. Maybe something summery—flowers? Fireworks? Fall leaves? The backing is a tiny green check. I would love suggestions.
And what about the quilting? How do I make it look ok on both sides? Would I need to hand appliqué something on after the front is quilted? Or would an all over design quilted right across appliqued flowers or leaves look awful? Any and all suggestions are welcome!
So with the borders on the Watermelon top, and summer when I’d use the tablecloth coming to an end, I’m considering it done—for now. Sometimes just making a decision about a project’s next step is enough progress. While it is still a UFO, it’s a totally different UFO! J
I’ve also started working on the Roseville Album again. Picking out little bits to appliqué always makes a horrible mess of my sewing room. One day while I was sitting on the floor (my only clear area), folding up the many Kaffe fabrics I’d auditioned for the latest Roseville block, I came across this pattern.
Not sure why, but I remembered a piece of fabric I had bought during one of my pregnancies—at least 25 years ago. I had planned to make a Laura Ashley sort of jumper (very IN at the time), and it took quite a bunch of fabric—enough to cover my growing baby bump.
September 01, 2011
When I first started it, the pieces in each block were made of the same two fabrics, with a different two fabrics for each block, but when I put the blocks together, it looked too choppy, so I picked it all apart and stitched it back together with the fabrics mixed. (insanity!) Then I decided I wanted the outside triangles on the edge to both be dark to make a bit of definition. So I picked it apart again, and replaced the white with teal.
When the top was complete, I showed my mom. She is a non-sewer, non-quilter, and grew up in the age where poor people had quilts on their beds and rich people had bedspreads. (She was excited when she could afford a real bedspread.)
Her response to the top was, "Why would I want that?!"
Yes, I was crushed. But I spread the quilt top out on a queen size bed of mine, looked at it, and decided it would be better as king size anyway, given the block scale, and for balance. So I took it apart, and added a row. Of course I sewed the new row into the wrong place and had to pick it out again before it was put in correctly.
I wanted to hang it and take a long full photo, but it is just too big for me to handle--and yes, that is a whole lot of binding! And that's all I've accomplished this past month--at least that I finished. But I have an admission to make. I've started something new--and not just one new project, but TWO!
I've always been drawn to the circle type quilts I see on so many blogs, so I purchased a pattern called King George III Quilt, available here. It wasn't exactly what I had been looking for, but it was close enough and I didn't think I would ever draft circular patterns on my own. (I later figured out that the pattern I had been looking for is apparently a BOM from Amitie--oh well. There's also another lovely circle pattern called Camelot by Trish Harper if you, too, want circles.)
The King George pattern had languished in my sewing room due to my fear of hand piecing. I've tried hand piecing a bit in the past and found it difficult and tediously slow. But now for some reason, it doesn't seem so slow (perhaps it is at my pace now). Here's my first (and only) completed block.
But then I couldn't wait, so I started piecing them together. Here's part of the first panel (on top of the other projects on my design wall).
Turns out that circles, hand piecing, and hexies aren't that scary after all!
Scoreboard for the Month/Year/Total Project: